Every year, we make New Year’s resolutions about things like working harder, exercising, spending more time with family…all good ways to take care of things in your life that matter. But wait–are you taking care of your car, too? If car care is not on your list, how will you get to work, or the gym, or that family road trip you’ve been planning?
Here are some New Year’s Resolutions you can make for your car, to enjoy more trouble-free driving in 2015:
1) Wash your car year-round. Yes, we know it’s not exactly car-washing weather outside right now, but salt and snow can damage your car. Don’t forget to clean the inside of your car, too. Nothing’s worse than “eau d’gym bag”…especially when that gym bag is actually getting some regular use from your other New Year’s resolution.
2) Switch to synthetic oil. Yes, it’s more expensive, but synthetic oil has many benefits for your car, not the least of which is this: you can go longer between oil changes. Think of the time you’ll save! (By the way, when you get your oil changed, have the service techs inspect your wiper blades for clearer visibility. That should be done every 6 months.
3) Keep an eye on your car’s fluid changes. Once a month, take a look at your car’s fluid levels and check your service manual to see when your car requires fluid changes.
4) Check your tires regularly. Worn tires can lead to issues with suspension components. Monitor the tire pressure and tread to prevent future problems. Make sure you get an alignment and wheel balance done once a year.
5) Perform scheduled auto maintenance when it is due, not 1000 miles later. This will ensure better performance and a longer life for your car.
6) Set aside money in a “rainy day fund” for your car. This allows you to take care of any possible repairs right away. And if you don’t have to dip into that money for repairs (after all, Hondas are pretty reliable!) then you can always splurge on some accessories or put it toward a new car at the end of the year.
Special thanks to Honda Seekonk Senior Service Advisor Tim Islip for these great tips. Happy New Year!
This blog is brought to you by Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk. We invite you to like, comment, and share! Be sure to subscribe, or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for the latest Honda news. You can also browse our selection of quality new and used cars or stop by our full-service dealership for test drives, parts, service, repairs, or just to say hello!