Living in New England means that Mother Nature most likely did a number on your vehicle over the winter. Don’t despair – while summer is heading into full swing, there is still time to get your Honda in tip top shape. What should you do before heading out on the road? Here’s a list of our top 5 summer tips to get your car road trip ready.
- Check your tires: Inspect the exterior of your tires for signs of wear and tear, such as bulges or worn treads, as well as for signs of pothole damage. Also, check your tire pressure to make sure they are not over or under inflated. Keeping tires inflated to the manufacturer’s recommended pressure will help boost fuel economy and help prevent blowouts.
- Give what’s under the hood the once over: There is a lot going on under your car’s hood, and seeing that it is in good working order is the best way to protect against breakdowns on the road. Get an oil and air filter change, check radiator and coolant fluid levels, and make sure belts and hoses show no signs of distress.
- Have your brakes inspected: While you’re getting your oil changed, ask the technician to make sure your braking system, including brake pads and rotors, are in good working order.
- Check the battery: Make sure your battery is clean and properly charged by disconnecting the battery cables and inspecting the terminals, which should be free of any buildup or debris. You can also stop by Herb Chambers Honda Seekonk for a battery check to ensure it is charging correctly.
- Make sure the AC works: Summer humidity can take its toll on even the most patient of passengers, and there is nothing more trying on a family than being stuck in a hot, stuffy car. To keep everyone happy and comfortable on the road, make sure your vehicle’s air conditioner is in good working order before you head out.
Summer road trips make for great memories, and routine summer maintenance is your best bet for a smooth sailing adventure. Mishaps can occasionally occur, however, so if you’re traveling, be sure keep an emergency kit in your vehicle at all times. Items such as flashlights with extra batteries, jumper cables, extra radiator coolant, energy bars, and a first aid kit can help you deal with a breakdown.
Before heading out on the road, make sure to follow these simple tips to keep you and your family safe and happy this summer. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so contact our team to schedule a summer service checkup at Herb Chambers Honda Seekonk and let us help you with all of your car concerns!
This blog is brought to you by Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk. We invite you to like, comment, and share! Check out our selection of quality new and used cars. Stop by our full-service dealership for test drives, parts, service, repairs, or just to say hello!