We may be having a mild December, but if last year’s winter is any indication, then we New Englanders had better be ready for snow. If you haven’t had a checkup to prepare your car for winter weather, it’s not too late! The Herb Chambers Honda Seekonk Service Team recommends getting your car serviced as soon as possible so you’ll have a safe, smooth ride when the bad weather really hits.
Winter car maintenance checklist:
1) Check the air pressure in tires and tread depth–worn tires don’t grab the road as well, especially when it’s slippery
2) Check your brakes and brake pads–good brake pads will help
2) Perform battery testing
3) Look at your windshield wipers–clean or replace torn or worn-out blades
4) Check antifreeze/coolant levels to make sure it has the right level of protection for winter temperatures
5) Make sure your windshield washer fluid is full, and rated down to a temp of -20 degrees
Remember those emergency kits? Make sure they contain a snow brush and scraper. Having a blanket in the trunk serves two purposes: it provides warmth if you’re stuck for an extended period of time, and it can be put under tires as a form of added traction. And speaking of traction, a 5 lb bag of kitty litter can be used for added traction as well. Keep some granola bars or a chocolate bar in your Honda (Honda Mama fully endorses this idea) to provide extra energy if you’re stuck and waiting for help.
This blog is brought to you by Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk. We invite you to like, comment, and share! Be sure to subscribe, or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for the latest Honda news. You can also browse our selection of quality new and used cars or stop by our full-service dealership for test drives, parts, service, repairs, or just to say hello!